In 1814 and 1815, 133 Roman Catholic and Evangelical Lutheran families from Oroschokowin
(Ortschokowin) and Chitonitz, Poland, founded a village in the Kogelnick Valley, approximately
60 U.S. miles west of Odessa, Ukraine, and 6 miles south of Tarutino, Ukraine.
[Map coordinates: 46 minutes, 7 seconds North and 29 minutes, 15 seconds West]
In the fall of 1813, approximately 90 of these families, mostly Roman Catholic, spent the
winter in a colonists camp at Kishinev, Ukraine (now Moldavia/Moldowa).
In the spring of 1814, this group moved to the present site of Krasnoe, Ukraine.
In the fall of 1814, another group of approximately 43 families, many Evangelical Lutheran,
spent the winter in a colonists camp at Bender, Ukraine (now Moldavia/Moldowa).
In the spring of 1815, this group joined the 90 families at the site of Krasna.
From 1814 to July 1817, this village was called Catholic Colony or Kogielnik Colony.
The Russian Department of Foreign Settlers then named it Constantinovsky/Constantinschutz.
In 1819, the Russian Crown officially named the village Krasninsky/Krasna, in commemoration of
a battle between Napoleon and his army and the Russian Army at Krasnaja, a small village near
The name Krasna, though, had been
in use by local villagers from November 1817, as evidenced by a birth and baptism book for the
Roman Catholic Church in Krasna.
In 1918, after
World War I, when Bessarabia was ceded to Romania by Russia, the name of the village was known
Krasna/Crasna was the name, which
remained in use until 1940-1941, when the Ukrainian version Krasnoe came into use.
In September/October 1940, at the time of the Resettlement, all of the approximately 1,900
Germans who were residents there, elected to immigrate to Germany.
They boarded ships at Galatz, Ukraine, and were taken upstream on the Danube River to
resettlement camps in Austria, before being dispersed to farms in the Warthau/Warthegau region
of east Poland.
In August 1824, the residents of Krasna petitioned the Department of Foreign Settlers to allow
19 Evangelical Lutheran families to move from Krasna to Katzbach, Bessarabia.
These families were those of Jacob Buchert, Christian Sept, Johann Sisle, Thomas Burkhard,
Jakob Stock, Johann Riddlebach, Jakob Sisle, Michael Matulatus, Christopher Busch, George Sisle,
Jakob Scholp, Johann Koller, Heinrich Riedel, Johannes Waldbauer, Johannes Grabowski,
Jakob Rauser, Karl Menke, and Bernhard Wagner.
The main reason for this move was that some of the religious holidays of these two religious
groups were observed on different days and also differently.
The move was completed by July 1825.
The Roman Catholic families of Krasna helped these families dismantle their houses and
provided wagons to transport the materials.
Until the 1940 Resettlement, Krasna remained the only German village in Bessarabia inhabited
almost exclusively by members of the Roman Catholic faith.
Emigration by Krasna residents, in search for their own farmland, was evidenced by the
establishment of the daughter colonies Emmental, Bessarabia, Russia and Karamurat, Dobrudscha,
Romania, in the latter 19th century.
Immigration to areas in Saskatchewan, Canada, North Dakota, USA, Argentina, and Brazil began in
1894 and concluded circa 1914.
People of Krasna
These surnames are common to Krasna, Emmental and Karamurat for the period 1814 1940.
Not all of them, however, have ties to Krasna from 1814 onward.
Most of these surnames are associated with the Roman Catholic faith.